How To Buy Property in Australia from Overseas

A Guide for Aussie Expats and Foreign Investors

Your Property Hound is a buyer’s agent service that specialises in helping overseas buyers (Aussie expats and foreign investors) purchase property in Australia.

Whether you are living in Singapore, Hong Kong, London, New York, Dubai or anywhere else on the globe, Your Property Hound can help you purchase your own home or investment property in Brisbane or Regional Queensland.

We recognise that living abroad can create many logistical problems that make buying property difficult:

  • Traveling to inspect properties can be expensive, time-consuming and often impractical.
  • Overseas buyers are generally not familiar with property prices and market conditions and so risk paying too much.
  • Properties which seem ‘perfect’ on the internet can be disappointing when seen in the flesh
  • Different time zones make it difficult to:
    • Communicate and negotiate with selling agent
    • Arrange finance, conveyancing, building and pest inspections; building works and property management
    • Arrange Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) approval if required.

Your Property Hound specialises in helping overseas buyers purchase property in Brisbane and Regional Queensland.  We tailor our services to suit your needs and are available by phone, Skype and email at a time convenient to you.  We will guide you through the purchase process with minimal stress or inconvenience.

As a professional buyer’s agent you can be assured that we work exclusively for you.  We do not receive commissions or payments from any other source.  We research each property diligently and provide detailed inspection reports outlining features (both good and bad) of the property and surrounding area.  Your Property Hound will give you the confidence to purchase property that suits your needs, and the peace of mind knowing you are not paying more than you should.

Am I eligible to purchase property in Australia?

The Australian government places some restrictions on the foreign ownership of residential property. Depending on your individual circumstances, you may require approval from the Australian Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) prior to purchasing residential property.

Generally you do NOT require FIRB approval if:

  • you are an Australian citizen living abroad;
  • your spouse is an Australian citizen (not a permanent resident) and you are purchasing residential real estate in both names as joint tenants (not tenants in common);
  • you are a New Zealand citizen and you are purchasing residential property;
  • you hold a permanent resident visa  for Australia and you are purchasing residential property;
  • you are purchasing new dwelling(s) from the developer, where the developer has pre-approval to sell those dwellings to foreign persons

For more information see the FIRB website. (